Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Boots!"



After many weeks of asking Ben, "what kind of shoes are you getting?", he finally got them today: "Boots"! For some reason, every time I wear a pair of boots, he says boots about 50 times! So, Brad went down to Lawson's in Leoma (for you L-burg people) today at lunch and brought Ben this awesome new pair of cowboy boots. My son is about as happy as I have ever seen him when he is sporting these bad boys! He totally takes on that cowboy persona; it must be the heels. Mule Day, here we come; Ben is ready!
Well, today consisted of painting, painting, and a little more painting, and I think I just may paint again tomorrow! We are Lord willing going on a cruise soon, so I have been working hard to finish all of the Spring/Easter painting orders I have received. This little art endeavor has been so much fun; why didn't I start doing this sooner? I am planning on opening an etsy store this weekend after I figure out exact shipping costs for out-of-town orders. I don't think nor do I expect that I will sell a lot of paintings on there, but it will be fun to have people all over the place look at my work!
I did take a break from the painting to eat a nutritious and delicious lunch! You know I must include a picture every few words, so here is my lunch: a salad of baby romaine mix, carrots, red and orange peppers, tomatoes, snap peas, strawberries, albacore tuna, and Mrs. Dash's lemon pepper seasoning...yum. I also had a Wasa cracker, which I love (most people wouldn't:). I am trying, not to diet, but to eat more healthy, colorful things each day. I naturally love colorful foods; I am a veggie eater! Ben is starting to like more foods, so I have been trying to let him at least try all kinds of fruits and veggies. He eats so many bananas, I think he may turn yellow, but lately broccoli has been giving "nanna's" a run for their money! I remember thinking he would never be a good eater because he would only eat crackers and grilled cheese, but it really is true that if you eat these things and put them in front of them week after week, sometimes they come around! I just hope he keeps on liking them throughout life (considering we live in TN, which today was dubbed "the fattest state in the union"...nice.)
I need to get back to painting, but I want to leave you with my favorite way to cook sweet potatoes; we had these tonight, and I'm pretty sure Brad and I fight over the last few every time. They are nothing fancy, but man are they good! Thanks for reading, and good night all! God Bless.(These sweet potatoes I peeled look kind of like love-birds:)
Roasted Sweet Potato Bites
  1. Peel your sweet potatoes and give them a rinse.
  2. Cut into 1-2 inch cubes or whatever shape you prefer
  3. Drizzle the pieces with olive oil to lightly coat; toss
  4. Add a little sea salt (or regular salt) to taste
  5. Sprinkle with cinnamon ( I like salty/sweet combos)
  6. Roast in a pre-heated 400 degree oven for about 15-20 min (depending on thickness) Make sure to flip them while roasting, so none burn or stick.
  7. When I pull them out of the oven, I like to sprinkle them with a little seasoned salt
  8. Serve with favorite dipping sauce (honey mustard, we prefer ketchup)
  9. Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try your recipe. My hubby and I just spent this past weekend in Asheville,NC and ate at this amazing cafe called Tupelo Honey Cafe. We both tried sweet potato fries for the first time and we LOVED them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet potato fries are my favorite! This recipe is a little more healthy because of the baking and not frying. Let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE LOVE LOVE those boots! Grant would flip for those! Where in the world is Leoma?

    Also.. love sweet potatoes like that! And I hope that my son will some day love broccoli.. be oh so thankful! I continue to put stuff on his plate only to get "Mommy, I cant like dat". RIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hallie; I love "i CAN'T like that":). Leoma is down here below Lawrenceburg. The boots are Dan Post brand; I'm sure you can find them on the internet! Good luck with the broccoli thing!

    ReplyDelete