Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Mid-Week Shopping

This is one of those days when I know I really shouldn't be stopping to blog, but Ben just went down for a nap, so I thought I would sneak one in. The picture above is a bunny (obviously) that I painting earlier today; it is part of an Easter painting for a friend. It made me smile, so I figured I would include him for a little Springy touch! I hope everyone had a great weekend and beginning of the week. We have been in Columbia, so I haven't had my camera or computer to blog. Sunday, we had a 90th birthday party for my dear grandmother Edna! So many people turned out to wish her a happy day, and if you know my grandmother, you know why! She is such a people-loving person; I think she received over 100 cards! It was so great to see her so happy around all of the people who mean so much to her! I hope I can have half as many friends as her when I am that age. I will post a picture from the party when my mom sends me one.
Yesterday, on the other hand, I attended the funeral of a high school friend's father. This is one of the first parent deaths of people my age; I am constantly reminded we are getting older. My thoughts and prayers are with The McAdams family on the loss of a father, grandfather, and husband.
Now that we are back in Lawrenceburg (it is good to be home, by the way), I had to do my shopping today. This week was kind of fun because I really don't need any groceries since we are headed back to Columbia for Mule Day (yay) this weekend. I was able to score some really good savings at Walgreens this week, and I only did a little coupon/sale shopping at Kroger. I'll include my weekly pics as if anyone cares along with amount saved. I am trying to keep my receipts to show Brad just how much money I save him each month:) To the right is my Kroger haul for today. I used coupons on almost everything except the apples, bananas, the Oscar Mayer deli meat, and the whole chicken, and the Tyson frozen chicken breasts (the deli meat was 1/2 off this week, the whole chicken was $2.91 with a red clearance sticker, and the frozen breasts were $5.99 and are usually $8.99). I always buy my frozen chicken when it is $5.99, so I don't get caught without any and have to pay full price. Anyway, I spent $47.76 and saved $34.36 (44%).
At Walgreens, I had a $10 register reward from buying Brad's expensive Mach 3 razor blades last week, so I was able to use that towards the first half of my purchase. I used coupons and the $10 rr to buy the items with register rewards attached first. I paid $30.72, saved $34.97, and earned $16 is register rewards. I shopped a little more, but Ben was getting exhausted, so I checked out with some of the other items I went to buy; I used $12 of my register rewards and paid $1.87. In all, I bought $92.08 in health and beauty products for $32.59, and I still have $4 is rr to use next time. There was a register reward special on travel size products, so I stocked up for our cruise!
I guess that's it! The only cooking blurb I have today is the fact that I did the old switcheroo last night with our pasta for spaghetti. At first, Brad called me out and thought he was going to hate it, but, as I suspected, we couldn't even tell the difference. I won't use it every time, but it certainly is a good way to get a little whole grain in Ben's diet since he shoves it in by the bowl-full! *One more thing, I wanted to make a correction in my crock-pot roast recipe. I accidentally wrote 8 hours on low in the crock-pot. I really only think it needs about 6 hours or so. Just make sure you check it with a meat thermometer to make sure it is done. Hope everyone has a great night; let me know if you try any of the recipes I have put on so far! I'd love to hear from you!

3 comments: