Wednesday, March 16, 2011

A Few More Deals...

O.k., everybody; although I am glad I was able to write that LONG blog yesterday and get some people thinking about saving, I now realize that a lot of what I wrote is a waste of time! Well, not really a waste of time, but who wants to take the time to match up coupons to in-store specials when there is someone out there in blogger-land who already does it for you?!! I mean, this is the part of pre-planning that definitely takes the longest, but thanks to my good buddy Mary A., I will now be heading over to southernsavers.com to figure out which coupons I need to use each week. This website blows my mind because it not only gives you a detailed list of every sale/promotion item, but it also gives you links to online printable coupons as well as coupons that load directly to your store savings card (i.e. kroger plus card). For the beginner couponer (?), this site spells it out for you!
While I was exploring the site last night, I realized that I had overlooked some great deals with coupons I either already had or with ones I could print off of the site. (So, maybe I didn't get into bed until 11:45, big deal!) With new coupons in hand, I headed back to Kroger today to complete some unfinished business...Today, I was able to score $66.89 worth of groceries for $26.86! That (as you can see in my bragging picture) is a savings of 62%; not bad. I was able to use all coupons, get several items (5) items absolutely free, and since I bought exactly 20 items on the promotion list, I saved another 10 dollars. It was a good time indeed:)
One more thing to fill you in on (as if many of you don't already know these things). I was also made aware of yet another site called iheartwags.com; yep, that's "wags" as in Walgreens. I mean how nerdy can we get...VERY. I must admit I have never explored the world of savings at Walgreens, but after some research, help from friends (thanks Rebecca), and asking a lot of questions to the poor lady at the register, I think I have figured out a little bit about their system. They have something called "register rewards." For instance, I bought Irish Spring mens' body wash and deodorant (not for Brad as he is very brand specific in this category, but I know a sick man at church for whom I wanted to make a goody bag). It was on sale for 2 for $6 + a $4 register reward at checkout. I had a coupon for $1 off of the body wash and .50 off of the deodorant, so after I used the coupon, together, they cost $4.50 ($6-$1.50). BUT I received a $4 register reward, which is like $4 cash towards my next walgreens purchase, so the two items actually only cost me .50! In all, I received $5 in register rewards. The lady informed me (for next time) that many coupon users will check out with their register reward producing items first and then turn around and use them on the rest of their purchase (These ladies are smart!!!)
A picture of my Walgreens finds shows that I bought several household items other than cosmetics (which is usually the only thing I buy at Walgreens and usually at full cost). I spent $43.09 total, but when I added it all up and realized the cosmetics (powder, blush, nail polish, and hair color for my mom...sorry to let the cat out of the bag, mom:) alone would cost $32.96 on a usual trip and once you take away the $5 in register rewards I got, that means I basically paid $5.13 for all of the rest of the items pictured; not bad.
O.k., I guess that's all for this week as far as couponing goes. My favorite part of this is that Brad actually loves hearing about the deals and seeing pictures of all the stuff I get for not too much money! Maybe this makes up for me not really making any money...probably not, but I feel better knowing I am saving my family money! Off to cook dinner and head to church; I love Wednesdays!

3 comments:

  1. You will probably notice I buy a lot of cereal. Cereal is non-perishable, and Brad eats it like it is going out of style, so I keep a lower cabinet for unopened cereal and the upper cabinet for opened ones:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. use i before e except after c. (received!!)..you are absolutely amazing Emily...I am going to follow your blogs and have written down two web sites for coupon savings!!! How creative of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, thanks so much for posting this! It is so helpful. I can't wait to check out those blogs!

    ReplyDelete